- a manufacturer of vehicle refurbishment materials has decided to launch a new product on the market
- the new product required grinding of powder with a grain size of 120-150 μm to a level below 30 μm
- the grinding process is to be carried out in a liquid phase with a high viscosity and a high solids content
- the mill, being one of the most important elements of the production process, had to ensure the continuity of production
- the mill should make it possible to increase production if more products are introduced
- enabling milling tests in production conditions by renting the device
- indicating the need to select a machine with twice the previously assumed capacity.
- ensuring the implementation of the project from the selection of equipment to delivery, installation and subsequent service
Check the details of the implemented devices and services:
How to choose a device for grinding filling paste
The launch of a new product to the market by a manufacturer of primers and finish coats, namely filling pastes for the automotive industry, was associated with the necessity to obtain the assumed quality parameters of the product, which in turn is influenced by the grinding (rubbing) processes carried out. The manufacturer was therefore faced with the necessity to choose a suitable grinding device.
Our client, whose aim was not only to introduce a new product, but also to ensure continuous development of the plant through the development of further formulas, asked us to select a solution that would not only meet the assumption of a new process, but would allow to increase production in the future. But how to choose an industrial mill that will meet all these requirements?
The range of industrial mills is quite wide, which is why we have familiarized ourselves with the process conditions and then obtained from the customer the data necessary for the selection of the machine. The determination of the type of production was also significant – it was established that it would be continuous production.
Grinding tests under production conditions
The selection of the mill was conditioned by the required one-time, very thorough grinding of a high viscosity product without the need for circulation. The granulation of the product at the entrance to the mill was supposed to be 120-150 μm, while at the exit it should be no more than 30 μm. Our aim was to select the most effective system for grinding a new product, but at the same time flexible enough to allow the grinding of further materials with similar parameters which the customer is currently working on.
As the problem concerned the implementation of a new product, the best way to select the right type and size of the mill and evaluate the effectiveness of grinding on an industrial scale was to conduct tests in production conditions. To enable the tests, a test machine was rented with a chamber of 30 litres, allowing for grinding (3-fold reduction in particle size) of 700 kg of material in 1 hour. The effects obtained by the Client as a result of the tests were satisfactory.
It turned out that the ideal solution would be to choose a machine with twice the capacity previously assumed by the customer. This will allow for a more accurate, smooth regulation of the current process and, in the future, a multiplication of production. A smaller device would provide a supply of only a few dozen kg/h greater than the one expected by the customer in connection with the introduction of a new filling paste.
Advantages of the applied horizontal mill with modular platform
When it comes to choosing a grinding machine for industrial products, one of the most important issues is to choose the right grinding chamber type. As our customer’s plant will grow, we have chosen a horizontal mill with a modular platform that will enable replacement of the grinding chamber, and thus use up to three different grinding systems (which may be useful in the case of introducing a new product with slightly different characteristics). For the time being, the plant will be operating a horizontal mill using the Discus grinding system with disks on the shaft, which is highly efficient at high viscosities and with the presence of a large number of solid particles in the material.
The advantages of the supplied horizontal mill are as follows:
- the aforementioned possibility of expansion with other grinding chamber systems, which makes the mill very flexible in terms of grinding various types of materials (in addition to the Discus system with drives on the shaft, it is possible to use the Zeta system with pins, as well as the Macro system – i.e. the extended Zeta system),
- very efficient system of grinding media separation,
- the highest power of the device with a low level of energy required,
- possibility of changing the power density in the grinding chamber to adapt to the requirements of the product,
- highest cooling performance thanks to the use of new materials and optimal use of the cooling surface / optimal cooling water flow,
- horizontal construction eliminating problems with uneven heating of the product,
- stability of the production process even under changing process conditions (temperature fluctuations, changes in composition, changes in viscosity, etc.),
- the ability to store recipes in the control system, which allows to obtain repeatable quality.
What parameters of industrial products influence the selection of the mill
Pearl mills are used by production plants in the paint and varnish industry (e.g. for shredding pigments), food industry (for chocolate production), agrochemical industry (for shredding active substances), as well as in the cosmetic and pharmaceutical industry (e.g. shredding to the nano-scale).
The right choice of equipment is possible thanks to the characteristics of the ground material and the requirements for product parameters after the grinding process. Specifically, the properties of the material to be taken into account are as follows:
- type of liquid vehicle,
- size and type of ground material,
- the content of solid particles in the liquid vehicle,
- the density and viscosity of the suspension,
- required granularity after grinding.
In addition, the type of production that takes place in the Client’s company is important:
- batch mode, where circular grinding of material batches is applied (the material is repeatedly returned to the grinding chamber),
- continuous mode, where a single pass through the mill is applied and the product is obtained continuously.
In the case of new installations and products, it is very important to carry out grinding tests similar to those carried out in the project described above.