ExKop explosion isolation system
While being a rather unusual solution, this explosion isolation system provides two unique features. First, the explosion isolation valve can be triggered to close by a decompression panel opening system (in the explosion venting system) or a dedicated IR sensor. Second, the explosion isolation valve can be reset for repeated use after an explosion.
The primary component is a rubber sleeve which compresses itself shut against the operating pressure (the minimum of which must be 6 bars from the compressed air system), the trigger delay is relatively high in comparison to e.g. an HRD system. This requires installation of a QV valve at a relatively large distance from the protected unit.
Given its design, the valve can only be installed in line with pneumatic handling ducts or in round ductwork of dust extraction systems. The application limits of dust explosiveness are, respectively: Kst max. ≤ 200 bar × m/s, Pmax ≤ 10 bar, and Pred ≤ 1 bar. Note that all materials which are abrasive and high flow material flow rates may significantly reduce the service life of the rubber sleeve. Although the service inspection interval is one year, highly abrasive media may require an interval of 2 or 3 months. The highly abrasive media generate a high risk of weak or failed closing operation in the event of an explosion.
- Protection of filters, mixers, cyclone separators, grinding mills, and other processing devices against propagation of explosion products to remaining parts of processing systems.
- The ExKop system comprises a QV explosion isolation valve with a controller;
- The QV explosion isolation valve (a bi-directional closing action valve with a rubber or EPDM membrane) is triggered to close at 6 bars of pressure supply from the local compressed air system;
- The explosion at the processing device is relieved by the membrane or an Eco-Q-Rohr device;
- The controller receives the explosion signal from the membrane rupture sensor (or from an Eco-Q-Rohr device), a pressure sensor or a spark sensor (either of which is installed in the connected ductwork);
- Application limits: dust of max. Kst ≤ 200 bar × m/s, max. explosion pressure ≤ 10 bar;
- Maximum reduced explosion pressure, Pred ≤ 1 barg;
- Available sizes from DN 80 to DN 500; QV valve installation distance from the protected unit: 5-7 m (7-9m between DN 250 and DN 500);
- Available in a clean-room version;
- Max operating temperature ≤ 130 °C.